Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Are We Having a First Look?

No.

I know there is the immortal debate of whether or not to have a first look or to not see each other until the ceremony. As soon we booked our ceremony and reception venue it became clear that we would not be doing a first look.

But let me elaborate:

Our ceremony begins at 2:30 and ends at 3:30, but our reception does not begin until 7pm. With travel time, there are about 2 1/2 to 3 hours for us to take photographs in between the two events (don't worry, there will activities for our guests during that time). So with so much time for the family/couple/bridal party shots, we don't really need another private couple session before the ceremony (beside the fact that I would need to be ready even earlier than 2:30 which would be a feat in and of itself).

Another factor to take into consideration is that it is usually most convenient to do a first look if the ceremony and reception are at the same place. Because if everything is happening in the same location it becomes EXTREMELY difficult to keep from seeing each other before you walk down the aisle. But it is not so difficult for me to be dropped off in the back of the church only 10 or so minutes before the ceremony.

And finally, though I think the idea of a first look is extremely romantic to me, I have never been super impressed with the resulting pictures I've seen. I feel that we can have an equally romantic time with our private couple shoot after the ceremony.

The one argument which is still convincing to me is that a first look can be very relaxing and centering during the stressful excitement of your wedding day. And if my personality up to this point is any clue, my level of stressed excitement is going to be off the charts. But I think that will be part of the unique way I enjoy my special day. And I think holding each other's hands once we're together at the front of the aisle will have the same effect.

But that's just why a first look was not right for us. I know my FSIL Katerina loved her "first look" with her husband S. It was definitely the right choice for them, and they did get some great pictures out of it. And I know it was one of the most emotional and loving moments of their day, so "first look"s can be amazingly romantic and beautiful. I'm sure if we were having one, it would have been. But I know it will be just as exciting and romantic when Mishka and I see each other in all our wedding day splendor for the first time as I enter the church on my father's arm.

No comments:

Post a Comment