Monday, February 21, 2011

Ukrainian Traditions: Ceremonial Walk

Who here saw My Big Fat Greek Wedding? Do you remember the wedding ceremony? Everything is in Greek and so Tula translates what is happening for her groom. At one point, she says that they are married and they are about to take their first steps together as man and wife. The priest then leads them around the altar a few times.

Obviously, in My Big Fat Greek Wedding they are Greek Orthodox, but technically, Mishka and his family are "Greek Catholic" and there are many similarities to the Greek Orthodox traditions. So when I was researching Ukrainian Catholic (i.e. Greek Catholic) wedding ceremony sources, I wasn't too surprised to find this on the list.

I think this is a beautiful tradition. It's like the tradition of being "announced" as husband and wife at the end of the ceremony, or sharing your first kiss as husband and wife, but taking it to the next level.

However, I'm not 100% we'll be able to make this one happen. I love being able to include all the Ukrainian traditions that I can, but I'm not sure we'll be able to do everything and still keep our ceremony at a reasonable length since we're doing a full mass. We're going to have to really pick and choose which ones we do and which we don't. So while I think this ceremony is super beautiful, it's up in the air whether this one will make it in or not.

But I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we can!

No comments:

Post a Comment