Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Expanding Each Other's Horizons

I think it's very important in a relationship that you expand each other's horizon's. Expose each other to new experiences, if you will. There are MANY ways in which Mishka and I do this for each other, but the horizon which has been most prominent recently is food.

Mishka is a chicken boy at heart. He knows what he likes, and what ingredients he likes and tends to disregard menu options with things he thinks he doesn't like. However, recently, he's come to notice that he often likes picking food off my plate more than he likes what he ordered. Which has convinced him that it might be OK to try new food once in awhile.

So we've established a new rule in our relationship: Ang's choice. At least when it comes to dinner. I am the chef, and so what we make for dinner is my choice. It's given me a lot of freedom and we've been eating some (healthy) meals that I'm not sure I would have been able to convince him to swallow before.

For instance, last night we ate Mexican Potato Soup. It was pretty spicy (though Mishka didn't think so... I'm starting to learn he has an amazing tolerance for spice), but had delicious flavor and went great with a sandwich. Despite the spice, we're looking forward to enjoying the leftovers. Would Mishka have ever tried it without my cooking it? Probably not.

And I'm not going to say it's not fun for me to get to cook whatever I want either ;).

No comments:

Post a Comment