Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Married Out of College

Do a lot of people get engaged while they're in college?

I had always considered Mishka and I a pretty rare couple, to be engaged before we graduated. My FSIL Katerina and her husband S got married young, but even they didn't get engaged until after they graduated. I had always assumed it was a relatively uncommon thing, particularly since there is certainly a stigma against people getting married "too young" (and 21-22 is admittedly young).

But this past week I met THREE other girls who had gotten engaged over the holidays. They were all seniors and most of them had known their boyfriends (well, fiances now) for at least a year and a half, often more.

So now I'm wondering, is it a relatively common thing for people to be engaged before they receive a bachelor's degree?

I don't think it's a bad thing to get engaged at a young age. It is not right for every couple, but obviously I can say it's the right decision for Mishka and me so I can't judge others who choose the same path. In fact, I think it's very admirable. Marrying young gives a couple the opportunity to grow together and contribute to each other's formative years. Marrying young is something of a different kind of commitment to those who get married in their 30s and 40s. Not that one is better or worse, just different.

But, as I said before, I know it's the right decision for Mishka and me, so I'm looking forward to the unique challenges and rewards a marriage right out of college holds for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment